Monday, February 25, 2013

Play That Funky Music. Or Not?

As I make my way through The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddler and Preschoolers, I am re-thinking our bedtime routine and the girls' sleep environment.
(I don't know why we even attempt to put her in bed the "right" way)

Right now, the girls fall asleep with a small lamp on and we turn it off when we go to bed. I switched the light bulb to a much softer light (non CFL, the horror!) this weekend and I think it makes for a more relaxing environment. Penny seems to be very sensitive to light while trying to fall asleep, so I think this will help her to relax more at bedtime. Hopefully.

We've never used music or white noise/sounds other than a crib soother when they were babes and Penny's "magical" seahorse. I've always been hesitant to use more because I don't want them to become dependent on it. And then when we're away from home and we inevitably forget to bring the sound machine/CD/iPod or whatever, they'd be miserable without it. You know what I mean? But for Penny*, it might be calming or reassuring to have it on. When we go in her in the middle of the night we always turn her seahorse on for her and it seems to calm her. But it only plays for 5 blessed minutes. We have a humidifier on all night long for a little white noise, but it doesn't seem to help with that issue.

So, dear readers, I have a few questions for you.

Does your toddler/preschooler sleep with a nightlight or light on?
Do they fall asleep to music or white noise/nature sounds?
If so, do you keep it on all night? 
Is your child dependent on it? Do they have to have it to fall asleep? 

Next up, nap time. Should it stay away or should it come back?



*You will notice that all of the posts regarding sleep issues and solutions tend to deal with Penny. No, we are not neglecting Olive. She just happens to be a super stellar amazing sleeper. She always has been. Some nights she takes 10-15 minutes to calm down and fall asleep, but she is content to quietly look at books by herself. Once she is out, she's out. We always bring her to the bathroom before we go to bed and 9 out of 10 times she doesn't even wake up. She is a DEEP sleeper (hence the nightly bathroom trip). And a sleep talker. Which makes for some hilarious bathroom breaks.

Olive: Mama, look at my nose!
Me: Why? Is there something wrong with your nose?
Olive: No Mama, LOOK at my nose!
Me: Ok, I see it!
Olive: LOOOOK at my nose!
Me: I am! What am I looking at?
Olive: My nose! LOOK AT MY NOSE!
Me: I am looking at your nose. It looks great.
Olive: Why are you looking at my nose? *falls back asleep*
End Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment