Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Advent Calendars

I love advent calendars. The excitement and anticipation of counting down to Christmas makes the kid in me squeal with joy. Ok, the adult in me too.

I have a wooden Santa advent calendar that hangs in our entry way. It has stars with numbers that you change each day to the correct number. I also bought a classic cardboard advent calendar with doors that open to reveal a little piece of chocolate.  This is what I remember from my childhood. Except now I don't have to fight my brother for the chocolate....just my husband. :)

I also have an Olive The Other Reindeer pop-up advent calendar


that I am saving for a few more years until our daughter, Olive, will enjoy/understand it more. I bought it on mega clearance while I was pregnant and was suddenly feeling like we would have a girl and her name would be Olive. (Apparently advent calendars are also psychic in my world)

This holiday season I am feeling very crafty. I don't know if it's because I am a mom or because I miss being creative and crafty with my students (I was a preschool teacher and nanny in my former life) or because we are being more um, thrifty? frugal? cheap?, these days. Whatever the reason I set out at the beginning of December to find some DIY advent projects. And wow, did I find some!

Most include buying lots of supplies, a sewing machine, knowing how to work said sewing machine and voila! You have a beautiful advent calendar! That's not really my cup of tea. At least not this year. We'll see if Santa brings me a sewing machine and lessons. Maybe next year I'll be sewing up something spectactular. Or the next. Or never.

I did find several DIY options that only require paper and a printer. Here are a few that I like adore:

Sticky Note Advent Calendar
















(image courtesy of giverslog.com)


















(image courtesy of mibostudio.co.uk)


And then there is this one:

















(image courtesy of Bodie and Fou)

Isn't that a great idea? I found it here and while it's not free, I think you could easily make it yourself using take out container type boxes found at a craft store.

So don't feel bad if you haven't already started an advent calendar! Whip one of these bad boys up and get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment