Sunday, October 3, 2010

I have a confession to make. . .

I like beets. I would go so far as to say I LOVE beets.

It feels really good to have that out in the open. You see, I've always thought I disliked beets. I have even boldly claimed I HATE beets. I wouldn't even try a bite of anything beet related because I was so certain I hated beets.

And it's all my brother's fault.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, in a galaxy far, far away, he made me eat a beet. And not just any beet, a pickled beet. But not only that, he tricked me into eating it. He told me the purpley-red gelatinous looking round slabs on the table at Thanksgiving were jellied cranberries. I ADORE cranberries (yes, the purpley-red gelatinous looking round slabs from a can). So I was all over those "cranberries" like squirrels on a bird feeder. 

Needless to say, one bite in and I realized I had been had. Duped. Punk'd (Except this was in the early 90s and Punk'd wasn't even a twinkle in Ashton Kutcher's beautiful blue eye). 

So from there on out I was a hater. A beet hater. Can you blame me? 

Fast forward 20 years or so and I am now a proud member of a CSA that has a bountiful crop of beets! So I swallowed my pride (fear?) and forced myself to eat beets. And they were good. Excellent. Amazing! 
What is the point of all this random rambling you ask? Well nothing really, other than to say I LOVE BEETS!

Here are a few of the recipes that cultivated my love affair with beets:

Grilled Beets- Peel beets, slice, drizzle with olive oil, s&p to taste, wrap in foil, grill on med until tender and delicious. 45 minutes or so.  (throw in some sliced onion too if you're so inclined)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I have discovered beets in recent years and I think they're pretty great. I made pickled beets this year, too. Red ones and golden ones.

    ReplyDelete