Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sugar and Spice and All That is Nice

Growing up, I always dreamed of being a Mom and having children. I know to many, that may sound lame or not very inspiring. It's certainly not the most glamorous job out there and definitely not the highest paying. But for me, it was what I always wanted.

Never once in all those years of dreaming about cuddling, loving and changing diapers, did I picture myself with a daughter. (Let alone two daughters.) It was always little boys who wore overalls, got dirty while playing and loved to wrestle. Girls seemed kind of daunting and scary. I just couldn't imagine having to play babies and doing hair. And don't get me started on the mom/daughter dynamic. I wanted to avoid all things girl. The thought of anything pink and frilly made me break out in a cold sweat.

But then along came Olive. The sweetest little girl that stole my heart as soon as I laid eyes on her. All my visions of boys vanished from my head. That is, until I realized she loves to wear overalls, get dirty while playing and LOVES to wrestle, all while wearing hair clips and taking care of her babies. My pretty, little spirited girl gives me the best of both worlds.

And pretty soon I was pregnant again. And the visions of a little boy started to dance in my head again. Except, I was kind of hoping for another little girl. A sister for my big girl. I always wanted a sister. I have two brothers who are great, but, they're no sister. Instead I had a BFF who was (and still is) pretty much my sister. And I wanted that for Olive. But the real sister deal. Even Olive requested a sister and INSISTED that Mama's baby was going to come out a baby sister. I hoped she wouldn't be too disappointed if it was a boy.

But lo and behold, that's exactly what she got. A sister. A beautiful, spirited little sister. Who will most likely wear overalls, get dirty and like to wrestle. But if not, we will love her just the same. And of course, just like her sister, she looks pretty darn cute in pink.

I am now the mother of two amazing girls. With closets full of overalls and little pink clothes (and even some pink overalls!). And I couldn't be happier.

Who would have thought?

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! I have a sister (and one brother) and it is SO wonderful to have. I'm counting on the brothers relationship (which neither Noa or I observed in our own families) as being solid. I have seen Ian play with friends' dolls a few times. ;) No, really, this is so precious. Please print someday for your adorable daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you only as a mama to a spirited awesome gal (and now gals) - I'll tell you, all of your concerns, anticipations, or second-thoughts never cross the barrier into your parenting. You are an exemplary mama, someone I'm so proud to look to on a daily basis!

    You're awesome L!

    ReplyDelete