Monday, October 12, 2009

Separation Anxiety

Separation anxiety. Two little harmless words with BIG impact. Any parent who has dealt with a child with separation issues knows what I am talking about. Up until today, those two little words weren't that scary to me. But today they became something more than two little words. They became thoughts and feelings. They became heart break. And not for Olive. 


For me.



Olive had some major separation anxiety at ECFE today. Racking sobs, crumpled up face and big alligator tears. But soon after Chris and I left the room she settled in and enjoyed herself. (Especially once the snack came out. The girl will follow you to the moon and back for a saltine cracker.) (Yes, it's ok to enter an "Oli want a cracker?" joke here.) (And the answer to that question is always "yes")



And what really set this post in motion?


I am leaving Wednesday for four days away from my Stinky Little Lou Lou Bear. My Itty Bitty Peanut. Jo Jo. Oli Poo. Peanut Butter Pants. Lyle. Stinky Butt. I could go on, but I won't embarrass myself. (yes I do call Olive by her given name...occasionally)


I know. It will be good for both of us. Really, I know this. And honestly, I am not sad or nervous or scared to leave her. She will be in loving, capable hands. And I am really excited for this getaway. 


But, plain and simple, I am going to miss her. 


Olive is my sidekick. My partner in crime. The blink to my wink. For the last 16 months we've spent the better part of (almost) every day together. And yes, there have been moments when I wish it weren't that way. But 99.9% of the time I love it. It's been as natural to me as breathing. So I think it's understandable that I will miss her. 


But, I will pack my big girl undies (not to be confused with my granny panties) and have a great time. I will go so far as to say that I will have a fabulous time. And so will Olive. She will get lots of Daddy time which, let's face it, is what she is always asking for; "Da da! Da da? DA DA?!". So really, it's a win-win situation, right? 


Right. 






Moral of this really long winded and rambling post? 


Sometimes life sucks and it's ok to cry. But don't worry, some lady with crackers will come along and cheer you up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment