Thursday, January 27, 2011

Taste the Rainbow


 A few weeks ago I stumbled across a blog. A simple, humble food/photography/daily life blog that for whatever reason resonated in me. I took some time to go back and read the posts from the beginning and was amazed at how connected I felt to this complete internet stranger. Not to mention, the recipes look fabulous. I am now a follower and am inspired daily by her posts and recipes. 

The blog is Oh She Glows and you should check it out. 
Why?
Because I said so.
Why? 
Because I am the Mommy, that's why. 
Why?
Don't start with me. 

I made this delicious concoction the other day and I HIGHLY recommend that you try it out. So good. And good for you! As always, my adaptations are in blue.

  
Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad
(adapted from Oh She Glows)  

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp oil of your choice
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (I used red onion because that's all I had on hand)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander (did not use)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tbsp Tamari (organic soy sauce) (I used low sodium)
  • 1 cup frozen peas (I only used 1/2 c. I am not a big pea fan)
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated (I finely chopped a half a bag of baby carrots.)
  • 1 tsp Earth Balance (or your butter/margarine of choice), to stir in

Directions
1. Cook the basmati rice on the stove top according to the package directions.
2. Chop all vegetables and get all of your ingredients ready before beginning this recipe. (Did this while the rice was cooking)
3. In a large skillet, add the tablespoon of oil over low-medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté on low-medium heat until golden. Add spices, garlic, and optional green onion and sauté on low for a few minutes until the spices begin to bubble slightly. Be careful not to burn.
4. Add in the Tamari sauce and the drained and rinsed black beans and stir well. Heat for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add the frozen peas, grated carrots, and frozen corn and stir well. Heat on low for another 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the cooked and drained rice and a teaspoon of Earth Balance (or butter).
Enjoy! 

Makes ~ 6 cups


I enjoyed this hot off the stove and also cold the next day for lunch. The flavors definitely develop more that longer it sits. I had it for lunch for several days. Yum, yum.

Sorry my adaptations are in such a small font. Blogger has decided that once I change a font size, it shall remain that size no matter how many times I try to change it. Blast you Blogger, blast you! 






2 comments:

  1. indeed it is. you'll love it. Add a splash of hot sauce and it's even better.

    ReplyDelete